Monday, February 1, 2010

Super Bowl Super Guilt


Super Bowl XLIV is imminent. And the stress has already made my blood pressure soar. What stress? The stress of openly admitting pulling for Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts this Sunday and being chastised for it. Does rooting against the New Orleans Saints make me a bad person? Well, several people have emphatically told me, “YES”. Why? Because New Orleans needs a victory. The people of the hurricane ravaged city need a lift. Sure, but specifically in the form of a Saints Super Bowl victory? And in the interest of full disclosure, I’m greatly disappointed that I’m not getting my Minnesota Vikings vs. Colts Super Bowl. I know there are folks out there who feel the same way, but no one has had my back like the fictional 30 Rock character, Nancy Donovan, over this “BS Saints bandwagon”. Go Colts!

Maybe I should be more sensitive, but why do I/we owe New Orleans our allegiance? Well, I can actually think of a few reasons to root for New Orleans, not the least of which being that Peyton Manning is a New Orleans bred boy. Since I was knee-high to a grasshopper the males in my life have been football fanatics. I’ve known the name “Manning” for nearly my whole life starting with papa Archie (who I know played for the Saints before my time). I’ve competed with Peyton for my father’s commendation since high school. And I coveted the Giants’ quarterback, Eli, right up until his wedding day. So, for that and the following list, I would like to thank New Orleans and settle my debt so I enjoy my hot wings, nachos, and American football with a sense of peace Sunday night.

Thank you, New Orleans for: amazing beignets at Cafe Du Monde; giving a reason for the fame of at least one person who appears on "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" (Reggie Bush); Jazz music; Li'l Wayne; and Mardi Gras (even though my home state, Alabama, disagrees about the origin of the celebration in the US).

Now, Let's Go Colts!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is now open, but we'd love it if you chose one username so other commenters can get to know you. To do this, select "Name/URL" in the "Comment as" drop down. Put the name you'd like others to see; the URL is optional.

Any profanity, bigotry, or synonyms for "[ ] sucks!" will be deleted. We welcome criticism as long as you're making a point!