Sunday, February 21, 2010

Femonomics reads the internet so you don't have to: Roger Ebert is my hero, lady-business problems suck, MeMe Roth is crazy, and more!

Roger Ebert, after cancer surgery took away his ability to speak, has been leading an increasingly interesting online life--running a blog, twittering like mad, and genuinely engaging with his commenters and followers.  You can read his incredible story--both heartbreaking and inspiring--here.  And, some mad praise for the author that wrote it.
***
Anna over at Jezebel wrote a nice little rant about how difficult it is to get treatment for a basic yeast infection or UTI.  In it, she makes an incredibly important point about the paternalistic approach to women's health care:
Ultimately, I think the way American medicine handles common gynecological ailments says a lot about its view of women: that we can't be trusted to take care of ourselves, and that we need someone to watch out for us.
That's why we have to get a Pap smear before we can get birth control pills, even though they're basically unrelated. Because we won't get the proper medical tests unless they dangle a carrot in front of us — the carrot of not getting pregnant.
I, too, have been infuriated by the ludicrousness of "packaged" women's health care, especially when I know the only thing my doctor needs to know before prescribing birth control is my blood pressure and my family's stroke history.  Imagine if men were required to get a testicle exam before being prescribed blood pressure medication!

***
The Guardian has an incredible piece on crazy "anti-obesity advocate," but let's just call her what she is, weight bigot, MeMe Roth.  I could go on for days about the fact that what this woman advocates is not health, and that her lunatic crusade is not helping anyone, but I feel she's best nailed to the cross by her own words, so expertly drawn out by interviewer Gaby Wood.  Wood tries to ask Roth about her own eating habits; Roth first demurs, saying that she thinks everyone needs to find what works for them.  Wood presses on:
I try to pin her down to something more specific. Let's just do a sample day, I say. What about breakfast? Roth grimaces. "I hate to say this, because I think it's counter to what most people should do, but I never in my whole life have enjoyed breakfast. For me, it doesn't work as well as other things."
Right, I say. So how about lunch?
She squirms visibly. "You're taking me where I don't want to go ... What works for me doesn't work for a lot of people."
Well, you've said that, I insist, so taking that into account: lunch? Roth hesitates. "I discovered when I was in college that I work best when I get a workout in and eat after that. Sometimes I'll delay when I eat until I get a workout in. But I don't let a whole day go by without running four miles."
OK, I go on, but supposing you couldn't work out until four o'clock in the afternoon - would you not eat until after that?
"I might."
I look at my watch. It's 3.30pm. Alarm bells start to ring in my head. How about today, I ask. Have you eaten at all today?
Roth is a little quiet.
"No," she says.
***

This interview with JayZ is a little slow, but hilarious.  The British interviewer notes that JayZ is the only man who can listen to Beyonce's "Single Ladies" without a trace of regret, because he can think to himself, "Yes I did like it, and indeed I did place a ring on it."
***
And from the NYTimes, people don't understand Haitian voodoo, these fries look tasty, and the professor who shot her co-workers in Alabama had major problems, as apparently does our legal system that did nothing about them.

1 comment:

  1. The MeMe Roth piece seems almost like something you'd see in a cartoon. Her starting up a weight-loss business is similar to someone with OCD having a cleaning business, or someone who suffers from paranoia running a security firm. In some ways it's a good fit, but her motivations are not based in reality.

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is now open, but we'd love it if you chose one username so other commenters can get to know you. To do this, select "Name/URL" in the "Comment as" drop down. Put the name you'd like others to see; the URL is optional.

Any profanity, bigotry, or synonyms for "[ ] sucks!" will be deleted. We welcome criticism as long as you're making a point!