- Pakistan police officers to be arrested over death of Benazir Bhutto, after destroying the crime scene less than two hours after her murder.
- European nations agree on offshore North Sea electric grid to deliver wind power across the continent.
- ACLU obtains documents showing the government routinely violates the law in spying on US citizens, although they did not find any evidence that the violation is intentional.
- New Meningitis vaccine may end African epidemics - see, not all the news is bad news!
- Rising CO2 levels cause ocean acidification, threaten marine life
- The Brazilian army is policing Rio de Janeiro slums in the country's first domestic peacekeeping mission.
- Lawsuit challenges history-sniffing, a practice where websites build a profile of visitors based on sites they had visited in the past (without permission, naturally).
- Renewed violence prompts concern in Central African Republic, threatening the withdrawal of UN peacekeepers from the region and CAR's upcoming election.
- State budget cuts put law enforcement on front line of mental care, as clinics that treat the mentally ill close nationwide.
- Italian actress-turned-minister is making progress in the fight against sexism in a country of extreme double standards. I wanted to end on a positive note!
Monday, December 6, 2010
If you get your news from Fox commentary, NYTimes opinion pages, satirical news comedy, or anywhere on cnn.com, then you might be missing a lot of big important stories! Here's a few I've culled from the back pages of leading news organizations. An informed citizenry may be important for democracy, after all ;-)