Friday, January 22, 2010

Introducing...Recipe Fridays: Ratatouille pot pie

We're introducing a new feature here on femonomics.  Although I'm constantly making resolutions to cook more during the week, I do most of my stirring, slicing, and sauteing on the weekends.  And I do almost all of my experimenting with new recipes between Friday and Sunday.  So we thought we'd kick your weekend off right with a new recipe (or two!) to try.  Check back every Friday for new recipes, some from our own contributors, and some from elsewhere on the grand ole web.


To kick things off, here's a recipe from the NYTimes that I made a few months ago.  It was amazingly delicious, and a wonderful, hearty winter dish.  Being vegetarian, I of course pulled a switcheroo on the sausage for Smart Sausages, but you can try any meatless brand, or leave it as-is if you're a carnivore.  If you're using vegan sausage, slice each piece in half vertically, then slice the two halves together as though making rounds to get half-moons.  Then just saute briefly.

Let me warn you, this recipe is not all that easy (but it is worth it).  It's definitely more of a dish to make if you have a little time and want a really delicious, hearty, one-dish meal.  There are a lot of different steps, and it requires a lot of different containers and pans.  If I were going to do it again, I think I would try just sauteing all the vegetables, instead of slow-roasting the eggplant and zucchini like she does.  I'm sure I'd lose some flavor, but it would save a lot of time!

NYT: Ratatouille and sausage pot pie with cornmeal biscuits

No comments:

Post a Comment

Commenting is now open, but we'd love it if you chose one username so other commenters can get to know you. To do this, select "Name/URL" in the "Comment as" drop down. Put the name you'd like others to see; the URL is optional.

Any profanity, bigotry, or synonyms for "[ ] sucks!" will be deleted. We welcome criticism as long as you're making a point!