My non-negotiable list of what to look for in a partner, and an opportunity to share yours, after the jump.
- Someone who you enjoy doing things with, even everyday things
- Someone who shares your values
- Someone with a similar level of ambition, or if not that, a compatible level of ambition. If you want to be a CEO and s/he wants to teach middle school and raise the kids, that's great as long as you won't resent him/her for not contributing more financially, or come to think less of him/her for not "achieving" (by conventional standards) as much as you.
- Someone you feel comfortable communicating with, even (especially?) about intimate things, and who reciprocates that communication
- Someone you admire: for his/her talent, drive, goodness of heart, etc. Someone who, if you won an Oscar, you could call your "inspiration."
- Someone who challenges you.
- Someone who treats people well, makes you feel better about yourself not worse, and conducts him/herself graciously in the universe.