Friday, May 28, 2010

Recipe Fridays: Beating the heat with Gena's banana soft serve

[Image via Choosing Raw]

Earlier we told you about Gena's amazing recipe for banana soft serve over at Choosing Raw.  Since then, I've not only made it, I've made it ten different ways, and completely fallen in love with it.  Gena's basic recipe is to take bananas, slice them into chunks, and freeze them in tupperware.  This is a great use for those bananas bound to become overripe.  You don't want to actually use overripe bananas, as the flavor might be too strong, but the ones you know you're not going to get to in time are perfect for this.  Then you whirl them in a food processor on high for about 5 minutes.  I've found that the bananas need to be at the right temperature--about 5 minutes out of the freezer--for them to "whip" instead of "chop."  Go check out Gena's original recipe for more tips and pics of what the process looks like.

Gena's recipe has become such an integral part of my life because I am an ice cream addict who recently became lactose intolerant.  I also can't do soy, so that's out.  My only ice cream options are coconut bliss and Gena's banana soft serve.  But banana soft serve isn't just for people who are lactose intolerant.  It's for anyone who wants a fruit-based snack that tastes like dessert and keeps you cool in summer.  If you're a frozen grape enthusiast, this treat's for you.

But since I needed banana soft serve to fill almost all my ice cream needs, I wasn't content to eat it just in its original form.  So I mixed in frozen strawberries (slightly defrosted) near the end of mixing to create a terrific strawberry ice cream stand-in.  I added frozen peach chunks at the same time as the bananas to create a new flavor hybrid.  And, I mixed in almond milk and chocolate syrup (would have used plain cocoa if I had it) to make something that was pretty much an exact replica of a frosty, and omigod so good.  Next up, I try peanut butter and chocolate swirled in.  Give banana soft serve a whirl, and let me know if you come up with any good flavor combinations!

2 comments:

  1. Someone's gotten a lot more enthusiastic with the soft-serve ideas than me. Scroll through this post for endless soft-serve recipe ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to try this that I may have to go out and buy a blender this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Commenting is now open, but we'd love it if you chose one username so other commenters can get to know you. To do this, select "Name/URL" in the "Comment as" drop down. Put the name you'd like others to see; the URL is optional.

Any profanity, bigotry, or synonyms for "[ ] sucks!" will be deleted. We welcome criticism as long as you're making a point!