Tiger Beatdown's recent sexist beatdowns have reengaged me with one of the small ways in which gender roles are reinforced in daily life: the constant expectation that men open jars for any woman who asks. As a single blogger, there is rarely a man to be found in the apartment, and when one does show up, all of my unmet jar-opening needs tend to slip my mind. So, a few strategies (gathered from experience, and the internets):
1) Tilt the jar over a sink (you never know) and hit the lid in a counter-clockwise direction with the flat side of a butter knife. This make take some perseverance.
2) Run the lid under hot water. This might work in one of two ways: melting away any food / sugars stuck in the grooves, or expanding the lid so it's not so tight.
3) Break the seal on the jar lid by wedging something between the lid and the jar (can opener?) and applying pressure.
4) Go to a trade show and get one of these handy pieces of jar grip swag.
5) Poke a hole in the top of the lid, breaking the seal. Be careful!
Do any readers have any other tricks they use?